• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

tiny amount of sleep rejuvinating

Status
Not open for further replies.

a thing

Greenlighter
Last night I was up doing homework very late and only got 2.5 hours of sleep. With breakfast I had a cup of mate and soon after had a cup of mate+green tea. These had a very noticeable effect peaking in around an hour. My muscles were contracting for little reason and without me noticing much (I was sitting in a desk) and I had to piss a lot, which is to be expected when consuming xanthines.

The strange part is that I did not feel tired the whole day, well past the xanthines' peak. I felt great, like I had 10 hours of sleep, and was able to do physical activity (gymanstics) well. However, when I get around 5 to 7 hours of sleep, I feel tired the next day. Does anyone else experience this or know why it occurs?

Last edited:
sorta on topic..

i remember hearing about an alternative sleep schedule where instead of the usual 8hr/night sleep time the 'sleeper' i guess you would say, takes short naps at regular intervals and then catches up with deeper sleep on the weekends. iirc it was called polyphasic sleep? "The term polyphasic sleep is also used by an online community which experiments with ultra-short napping to achieve more time awake each day."

i do remember though that when i was in highschool, whenever i would fall asleep in class and get a quick 30min nap in, it was the best sleep i ever had. it really didn't matter if i did no sleep the night before, after that nap or two i'd be completely rejuvenated and ready to go heh

I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with what part of your sleep cycle you're awakening in. If you wake up from deep sleep you feel much more sluggish and tired than if you'd waken up from a period of light sleep.
I don't know if you'd feel this awake tomorrow if you only got 2.5 hours again though!

That happens to me sometimes, where I can get just an hour or two of sleep and feel very awake the next day. The problem with it is its hard, maybe even impossible, to judge when this will work or if I'll just feel very tired the next day.

Doing this every once and a while is probably fine, but it would be a very bad idea to try and do it on a regular basis. Even short intervals of sleep through the day on a regular basis is a bad idea. Starving your body of its REM sleep cycles can cause some serious psychological problems. Thats also why, as chainsawr was saying, it feels like you get the "best sleep of your life", its your body trying to squeeze in all that missed REM sleep.

I forgot to mention that at the beginning of the period when I was awake for 22 hours, I smoked some cannabis. Perhaps its effects on melatonin could have to do with it.

I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with what part of your sleep cycle you're awakening in. If you wake up from deep sleep you feel much more sluggish and tired than if you'd waken up from a period of light sleep.
I don't know if you'd feel this awake tomorrow if you only got 2.5 hours again though!

This matches my experiences. I feel tired if my alarm wakes me up while dreaming.

By the way, I was not planning on doing this regularly.

in extreme situations, i've read military documents suggesting that people who are in serious situations and dealing with sleep deprivation sleep in 30 or 40 min intervals. so sleep like 1hr if you can, but not 1hr and 15 mins. i think it was 30 minutes cause i remember 2 horus being mentioned as a good 'dose' of sleep.

it does have to do with sleep cycles.

when i'm in a situation where i'll only be able to get 5 hours sleep or so, i usually only sleep for 2 or 3 so i feel more alive the next day.

be warned: your lack of sleep will catch up with you, unexpectedly, if you continue to do this habitually.

Yea I've actually heard the same thing, about sleeping in 30 min intervals. Good suggestion jam. I've only heard about it once before so I wasnt sure how reliable it was. A military document seems like it would be fairly reliable though.

Status
Not open for further replies.